Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Day at the Women Center

A Day at the Women Center - September 15, 2009

When I arrived this morning, everyone has arrived, we said good morning. I haven't put my bag down, I noticed a new woman came down from second floor. Su-u came down with bread. She welcomed me with a big hug. I commented on her red lipstick and she looked good. She said she missed me. Su-u used to live with us, but now she has her small apartment on top of the restaurant she works for. She often visits back. Weiyin, the social worker, got my attention that we have a new woman who came yesterday. Then A-ngo came down rushing, her hair rumpled and she seemed disoriented. I asked how is she, but she doesn't seem to comprehend. Fangxue, briefed me that she took her to the hospital last night, upon checking her with 40 degrees fever. Luckily, she is free from the HIN1 virus. She took the morning medication, I asked Fangxue to take her to the 4th floor to rest and be isolated from other women. Meijing, our Korean lay missioner volunteer was already busy cleaning around. Another resident was busy calling a prospective employer for interview. Lucky, the dog, was lying under my office table.

I prepared the drinks for the morning outreach. Fangxue came down with 4 'piandangs' (box lunches), and some day fresh bread. We both left on our motorcycle to visit and take food to the women in the park and around trainand bus stations. We parked at First Square, and saw 2 homeless men sitting in on of the bench, filthy, already drinking 'gin'. I started a conversation with them, and asked if they saw Shuzhong, one of the women we regularly visits. They said she hasn't showed up. We went to the train station, we did not find a single woman, but talked to two groups of homeless. A couple, the husbad is eating noodle, he sits in front of the train station in one of the posts, while the woman stood around him not too far away. They all sleep inside the train station. We gave a box to one of the eldely who earns his leaving collecting recylables.

We drove to the Taichung Park and met four homeless women. We talk with them for a little while. We distributed all the food so we decided to go home. It was already 11 a.m. and the sun is so hot.

We came back to the center, A-yi was there, she used to live at the center but left without saying goodbye. Now she wants to come back. She went out to smoke. Then lunch was served. After lunch, everyone seemed to find a little corner to rest. They will come down later to the cool first floor to sit down and talk with each other. Another woman came up just when we were finishing the dishes, A-chiu, huge, one-eyed, filthy and doesn't wear slippers! She gave me a big hug! Asked where was I. She ate by herself. She promised me to take a shower afterwards!

Meanwhile, I have to do some office work. Weiyin is asking me about the budgets. I barely finished my first paper work, Rick Hsih came, he is a reformed alcoholic and very active with AA and Alanon. He came for a visit. Meijing and I sat with him and asked about the details of the women seminar on alcoholism held last August 21st. He and I planned the workshop before I left for the U.S. He was very happy with the results. We talked about the follow-up seminar for next year and talked about the feedbacks. A-chiu came down, joined us for a hot coffee, she looked very nice and clean, wearing her jewelries! Rick said goodbye. I went back to paper work.

Heavy rain began, and so I checked outside and found out the plants were all dried up. So I asked one of the women to help me water them. Two of them take over to water the plant.
The rained did not show any sign that it will stop. It was already past 5 pm, all of us staff can't go home. Li-zhen, came back from her new work. Talked to Weiyin a little bit about her health insurance. Fangxue was cooking soup in the kitchen. Meijing and I were talking about the volunteer seminar. Finally, it was decision making time...go home and brave the rain. Meijing left and afterwards, I followed. Weiyin and Fangxue also started to get ready to go home.
Ms Jie, the night supervisor has not showed up yet. I got home safe, in between flashes of lightning and thunder and the heavy pouring rain. Thanking God for the day and its grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment